History under the roof

Apr 21st, 2016 | By | Category: News

Historic Homes of Tacoma is back for its annual self-guided review of homes in the Stadium-Seminary District of Tacoma.

Hosted by Tacoma Historical Society, the event is scheduled forApril 30 (10 a.m.-5 p.m.) and May 1 (1-5 p.m.). Tickets ($25) are available at Tacoma Historical Society Museum, Pacific Northwest Shop, Stadium Thriftway, Columbia Bank branches at 21st and Pearl and South 19th and Union. Additional information is available at 253-472-3738.

Among the stops on the tour is a residence built in 1903 and remodeled in 1913 by William and Anna Virges. The house includes a solarium, a carriage house, an area that originally was servants’ quarters, and a room originally intended for billiards that’s now used for table tennis.

The house was purchased in 1958 by Arthur Anderson, who with his brother, Tom, founded Concrete Technology Corp., the first U.S. producer of pre-stressed concrete beams and columns. The company’s products were used in construction of the Seattle and Disney World monorails, among other projects.

This home in Tacoma's Stadium District, built in 1903 and remodeled in 1913 by William and Anna Virges, is part of the Historic Homes of Tacoma tour scheduled for April 30 and May 1.

This home in Tacoma’s Stadium District, built in 1903 and remodeled in 1913 by William and Anna Virges, is part of the Historic Homes of Tacoma tour scheduled for April 30 and May 1.

Share