Posts Tagged ‘ Walkabouts ’

All roads lead to Rhodes

Oct 4th, 2011 | By

At the end of the 19th and turn of the 20th century, Tacoma was rich with department stores.  Gross Brothers, built in 1889 at the current site of the Pantages Theater, was the first.  Peoples Store followed six years later at the southeast corner of 11th and Pacific, and then Stone-Fisher-Lane on the corner of
[more…]



What men and women did with time on their hands

Aug 24th, 2011 | By
What men and women did with time on their hands

According to a Tacoma Daily News article dated Nov. 8, 1890, Tacoma was known all over the east coast for having the largest number of single men in any city of comparable size in the country.  There may have been reasons why women avoided Tacoma, starting with hats. At that time ladies’ hats were in
[more…]



Exposed: incompetence and waste in city government

Jul 28th, 2011 | By
Exposed:  incompetence and waste in city government

In 1891, acting on a tip, an unnamed Tacoma Daily News reporter began an in-depth expose of the cost to maintain horses used for the upkeep of Tacoma’s streets.  The first person he visited was Jay Haskins, Tacoma’s Superintendent of Streets.  Mr. Haskins said that between January and early May, the city purchased feed from
[more…]



Laying out a town

Jul 5th, 2011 | By

Karla Stover Senior Scene At the Northern Pacific Railroad’s Sept. 10, 1873 annual board of directors meeting, the members chose Tacoma as their new western terminus.  Soon after the company purchased 3,000 acres of land for a town site. Laying out cities in the 1870s was child’s play.  All that was required was a map
[more…]